Variety Development & IP Management
At SAPO Trust we offer a full suite of IP management services spanning from the importation through testing of varieties to commercialization of trees and vines. Royalty collection, intellectual property management expertise and contract management services are provided to our golbal network of clients.
An independent IP Management Service with a footprint industry-wide
At SAPO Trust we recognize the fundamental value in the intellectual property of varieties and strive to assist with the protection thereof. Our focus is on discovering and unlocking the potential of all products managed by SAPO Trust. The VDIP business unit specializes in assisting breeders with protecting their intellectual property through predominantly plant breeders’ rights. We are also able to provide advice on other methods of intellectual property protection including, patents, designs, and trade marks.
Scope of Services
The VDIP unit provides various services including:
- Registration of plant breeders’ rights, variety listing and maintenance thereof;
- Importation of plant material;
- Management of intellectual property (contracts administration, collection of tree and production royalties and trade mark responsibilities);
- Marketing and promotions of varieties;
- Liaison and support to internal and external stakeholders;
- Co-ordinate technical evaluation of new selections;
- Full horticultural evaluation per prescribed protocols;
- Professional storage trials and displaying of new fruit varieties on fruit exhibitions.